Tuesday, July 28, 2009

CHAM Korean Bistro


851 Cordova St.
Pasadena

Unable to attend their grand tasting last week, I sent FWJ food blogger Jackie in my place.  Her thoughts:

"When I entered Cham, I wanted to try everything at the tasting tables. Since I couldn't narrow down the selection, I asked the man at the register to select options for me. The result?

"Mint lemonade - a solid A+, on the sweet side, which I prefer
Watermelon salad - very refreshing, perfect for a hot summer day
Tofu pockets - the marinated fresh crab meat was my favorite, but the arugula and red radish is a great vegetarian alternative

"Ssam garden platter - let's just say YUM...give me SSAM more! This plate was interactive dining at it's best. The delicious ribs came on a piping hot skillet with grilled onions. All the fixings came on another plate. You create your own wraps. It was amazingly appetizing, and fun, too! The sesame leaves were my favorite new discovery. They taste somewhat like anise, and Koreans use these fuzzy (trust me, they're good) little leaves to wrap anything and everything up before ingesting it. Waaaay better than boring old lettuce.

"Crispy rice cakes + lean ground beef (crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, sauteed in CHAM special soy sauce) - I was about to stop eating when the owner asked if I wanted ANYTHING else. I'd been eyeing the rice cakes the whole meal, so she brought me a small taste. They were DELICIOUS. The "special" soy sauce on the beef was more than special, and the rice cakes themselves were perfectly crispy. It was also one of the few times I've eaten perfectly cooked broccoli in a restaurant. I'd never had anything like it. They also have a vegetarian version with sauteed vegetables. If I were a vegetarian, I would eat here at least once a week!

"The staff was extremely polite and helpful (not surprising for a tasting), and I got the sense they'll remain this way even after opening. The owner showed me how to put the garden wraps together and informed me the chefs don't use any MSG or white sugar. If you taste the food, you'll instantly know CHAM really is a healthy, fusion alternative to the artery-clogging Asian restaurants out there."

Bottom line?  Check out CHAM now (picture courtesy of Food GPS)!

1 comment:

Michael JB said...

I checked out Cham during their tasting too and I have to agree with all of your findings. My only regret is that I live in Torrance and their restaurant is in Pasadena! Almost makes me wish I had never gone because now I'm obsessed with going back! :)